Josh Taylor claims win No 12 as a professional

Josh Taylor retained his WBC silver lightweight title and moved closer to a world title shot.

His management team will now look at their options as Taylor enjoys his 12th straight win in the paid ranks.

Substitute Winston Campos lasted less than three rounds in the SSE Hydro and the tough Nicaraguan was outgunned by The Tartan Tornado from Prestonpans.

And Taylor, making a return to the arena where he won Commonwealth Games gold four years ago, was never troubled. The end came with 44 seconds left in the third round after Taylor started quickly.

His jab proved a constant threat to his rival and Campos was down for a count of eight in the second round.

Another attack saw the Nicaraguan take a nine-count near the end of the round following a right hook.

It appeared it was only a matter of time before Scottish referee Victor Loughlin would call a halt.

Campos was again in trouble after 30 seconds of the third and took a count of eight and the referee stepped in seconds later to start the celebrations for Taylor’s fans.

The fighter said he was pleased with his performance and admitted he took his time to have a look at his opponent in the first round.

And the Scot said he got into his rhythm quickly and relaxed into the fight.

Taylor had prepared for eight weeks to fight Mexican Humberto Soto until he got the call to say the fighter was hurt.

The man from East Lothian said: “It didn’t affect me at all. I went back to my amateur days when you never know who you are fighting until the day before when you are in a tournament.

“I used that experience and adjusted and it did not change my mindset. I took it as it came.”

Shane McGuigan, Taylor’s trainer, said his man was progressing all the time and he is developing in the professional ranks.

Meanwhile, Edinburgh-based bantam Lee McGregor claimed his third straight win in the paid ranks with a second-round stoppage of Pablo Narvaez from Nicaragua.

The talented 20-year-old Scot dominated the contest and his opponent took an eight-count early in the second.

And the referee stepped in after a right hand hurt McGregor’s 33-year-old opponent mid-way through the same round.

But it was an unhappy night for Edinburgh lightweight Jason Easton who lost to tough Sunderland fighter Glenn Foot in his scheduled 12-round contest with the Commonwealth super lightweight title on the line.

The Englishman dominated the early exchanges but Easton came more into the fight in the middle rounds.

Aggressive Foot wanted the title and would not be denied.

He kept on coming forward and Easton suffered a cut above his left eye in the tenth.

And the fight ended with 40 seconds left of round 11 after another attack by Foot.

Easton was taken to hospital for a precautionary check but his 11-fight unbeaten record is now gone.