A selection of works from the Studio of the much-loved Scottish painter and teacher Alberto Morrocco are included in the Pictures Sale tomorrow at Bonhams.
The paintings cover many aspects of Morrocco’s career and include:
- Life Class (A Triptych) which reveals Morrocco’s admiration for the work of Picasso. Estimated at £30,000-50,000
- Night Fishermen (£6,000-8,000). One of several large-scale, powerful images of fishermen painted during the later 1960s, often in Sicily, at Fondachello.
- The Basilica Di San Marco, Moonlight (£12,000-18,000). Venice was a favourite city of the artist, and he painted it many times throughout his life.
- Aberdeen, the Bay at Gourdon (£3,000-5,000). Morrocco was particularly attached to the countryside around Aberdeen and Dundee, where he was Head of the School of Painting at the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, now part of Dundee University.
- Table Top Still Life (£3,000-5,000), informed by his love of Bonnard and Picasso, with flowers, fruit and colourful cloths tumbling to the fore.
Sale: Paintings to include a Studio Selection by Alberto Morrocco
Location: 22 Queen Street, Edinburgh EH2
Date: Wednesday 29 November 2017 2.00 p.m.