The latest figures detailing the number of people diagnosed with Covid-19 in the last 24 hours in Scotland have been announced.
The First Minister has been involved in a call with the other nations this morning about Christmas and promises an update on that during the briefing.
Public Health Scotland has issued some reports today which show the impact of Covid-19 on school staff and young people. These show that the impact has been fairly limited and the data looks at the impact on staff working in schools. These can be found on the Public Health Scotland website.
The figures in Scotland as at 16 December 2020 are as follows:
- 689 new cases of Covid-19 reported which equates to 5.9% of those newly tested.
- The number of positive cases is now 108,438
- 140 of these were in Lothian, and 109 in Greater Glasgow & Clyde and 92 in Lanarkshire.
- 38 newly reported deaths have been announced today of people who have tested positive within the last 28 days
- 49 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed Covid-19 which is 4 more than yesterday.
- 1,031 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed Covid-19 which is 35 more than yesterday
- The number of deaths under this daily measurement is now 4,173
As at 13 December, a total of 6,092 deaths have been registered in Scotland where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate, according to statistics published by National Records of Scotland (NRS) today. This figure is calculated on a wider definition of deaths relating to Covid-19 than the daily figure reported by The Scottish Government.
You can also see the latest numbers laid out visually on the Travelling Tabby website here. It is updated at 3pm daily.
LEVEL THREE RESTRICTIONS: