Edinburgh’s original five-star history and ghost tour company is launching five exclusive new tours of the city this Easter.
Mercat Tours, a family business led by an award-winning team of professional storytellers, specialises in walking tours that show visitors a side of Edinburgh that others don’t see.
The new tours launching this Easter are:
Spark 100 (Easter weekend only)
- Part of a year-long celebration of the works and influence of
world-renowned author Muriel Spark marking the centenary of her
birthday. Walking in the footsteps of Spark’s Edinburgh, a Mercat Tours
guide will tell the story of the some time retiring Edinburgh local,
whose style and work influenced a huge array of authors. She was
educated at James Gillespie’s School for Girls in the city, an
experience that many believe went on to influence one of her most famous
novels, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.
- Time: Saturday 31 March & Sunday 01 April, 5pm
- Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- For more information or to book visit: www.mercattours.com/spark100
Scottish Storytelling Supper
- Experience the warm Scottish welcome, famous the world over, in one
of Scotland’s finest restaurants neighbouring Edinburgh Castle. Those
joining the supper will enjoy a captivating evening that indulges the
best of Scottish traditions including Scottish prose; the finest food
from Scotland’s larder; Scottish mysteries, myths and legends; and
learning how to toast like a true Scot with a wee dram of whisky,
Scotland’s national drink. The host, dressed for the occasion, will tell
diners all about that curious Scottish skirt – better known as the kilt
– the famous dress of the Scottish Highlands.
- Time and length: April – August 2018. 7pm to 10.30pm
- Cost: £60pp inclusive of all entertainment, 3 course Scottish meal and a dram of Scottish malt whisky
- For more information or to book visit: www.mercattours.com/scottishstorytellingsupper
Whisky Tour & Tasting
- A walk through the Old Town of Edinburgh to discover the city that
founded the world’s largest Scottish whisky company and hear of the
people that helped whisky production. The tour will conclude in the
underground Megget’s cellar with a complimentary candlelit single malt
whisky tasting from Scotland’s four whisky-producing regions, under the
guidance of Mercat’s whisky specialist (in a kilt, of course).
- Time and length:
- Year round (from April 2018) – Departs at 4pm
- Duration: 2 hours
- For more information or to book visit: www.mercattours.com/whiskytourtasting
Mile to the Museum
- Mercat guides will tell the story of Scotland through the capital
city and the National Museum of Scotland. Those joining the tour will:
- Explore key locations and stories hidden around Royal Mile in Edinburgh’s Old Town.
- Enjoy an exclusive tour of the National Museum highlighting iconic objects that have shaped our country.
- Discover the nation’s treasures stored in the National Museum of
Scotland and hear how they all have shaped our past, present and future.
- Then enjoy tea and a freshly baked scone in the Museum Brasserie.
- Time and Length:
- April – October: 10am & 2pm, Thursday to Saturday
- November – March: 10am Saturday only, 2pm Saturday & Sunday
- Duration: 1hr 30min
- For more information or to book visit: www.mercattours.com/miletomuseum
- Discover Edinburgh’s ghostly past told in the beautiful Italian
language on this exclusive tour of the City’s underground Blair Street
Vaults. The vaults witnessed the deeds of mischief-makers and murderers,
vagrants, and torturers. It’s one of Edinburgh’s most haunted sites,
where restless spirits still tread. The Italian language version of the
tour is new for 2018 – there are also tours told in French, German and
- Time and length:
- April to October 6.30pm Thursday to Saturday
- November to March 6.30pm Saturday
- Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes.
- For more information or to book visit: www.mercattours.com/italiantour