Sam Judge (red top, right) celebrates another goal for Edinburgh University at Peffermill. Picture Nigel Duncan Media

Sam Judge saluted her championship-winning Edinburgh University squad and said: “Now for the Cup.”

The in-form side square-up to arch rivals Milne Craig Clydesdale Western in the Scottish Cup Final at Glasgow’s National Hockey Centre on Saturday.

They won the 18-fixture Division One title for the third time in four seasons by edging the West of Scotland club by three points.

They also outscored them, finishing the regular season with 101 goals – Kirsty Abrahams, a medical student, netting the 100th goal in her last game after six years with the club – while Western collected 87.

What’s more, Edinburgh only lost 13 goals in their league campaign while the Glasgow club conceded 17.

It’s a remarkable run of consistency since the former Scottish international, who played in three Commonwealth Games tournaments, took over at Peffermill and she is determined to secure a Grand Slam of domestic titles this term.

The evergreen, 39-year-old former Hutchesons’ Grammar School pupil goes in against the club she once played for in Saturday’s showpiece final.

And the Paisley-born forward, who also played badminton for Scotland at under-16 level, said her squad were in great spirits after Saturday’s 6-1 demolition of city rivals Watsonians with Scottish international, Amy Brodie, scoring a hat-trick.

Judge, who graduated with a sports science degree from Edinburgh University and now teaches physical education at St George’s School in the Capital, said: “We won 6-1 to clinch the title and we were the better team on the day.

“We started well and were 3-1 ahead at half-time and finished the job in the second-half.
“Saturday is a test for us but the girls are positive and confident and looking forward to the challenge.”

In England, Surbiton won the Men’s Hockey League Championship Final for the first time since the play-off format was introduced with Scottish internationals Alan Forsyth, Nick Parkes and Willie Marshall in the squad.

Surbiton came for 3-0 down with eight minutes left to draw 3-3 with Wimbledon in normal time and then triumph after a 3-2 shootout win.

Wimbledon seemed on course for a hat-trick of league championships and all three Surbiton goals came from penalty corners. It was Forsyth who sparked the comeback, finishing off a set-piece with eight minutes left.

Gareth Furlong found the backboard four minutes later and Furlong struck for a second time in the penultimate minute.

Forsyth also scored in the shootout.