Students were evacuated from Merchiston Campus today as a fire spread through the building at Edinburgh Napier University,  on Colinton Road at 10.55 am today. Students gathered  outside and assumed it was routine.

Edinburgh Napier student, Stuart Johnstone, 21, said:- “It appeared just to be an ordinary fire alarm.”

However, twenty minutes later smoke was observed pouring out of the left wing of the building. The fire service arrived and all students were moved further from the site as the smoke intensified.

A fire warden on site stated that there was a malfunction in one of the workshops and sparks began to appear. The sparks then went into the extractor fans and travelled through the building.

Submitted by Brogan Howie