A 95-year-old woman was treated for smoke inhalation after a microwave went on fire in her Edinburgh home yesterday evening.

Firefighters were called to a tenement building on Dunedin Street shortly before 6.30pm after a report of a blaze. They discovered a microwave had caught fire in a second floor flat occupied by a 95-year-old woman. She had suffered smoke inhalation and was treated with oxygen by fire crews at the scene.

Two firefighters in breathing apparatus used a high-pressure hose reel to put out the fire. Crews then vented the stairway of smoke.

Four appliances went to the incident with a total of seventeen firefighters involved in ensuring no one else in the building was affected and making the building safe.