The Edinburgh Transport Group, a group of local transport enthusiasts, has erected an interpretation board at the old Braids tram-drivers’ shelter on Pentland Terrace to mark the 60th anniversary of the ending of the original Edinburgh trams service. Morningside Community Council contributed some funding for the project.
A procession of the last cars of Edinburgh Corporation Transport set off from this point on 16 November 1956. After that the tram lines were ripped up and the city then depended on buses and cars until the new tram line was opened on 31 May 2014.
The board on Comiston Road will be unveiled at 2.00 pm on 19 November 2016.
This is the location of the ceremony: