TER 2014_01_04 Thistle Street Fire - 13

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service have told The Edinburgh Reporter that they conducted a rescue from a house in Hamilton Wynd just west of Commercial Street, Leith shortly before midday.

Firefighters were called to a fire in a living room of the property and crews from McDonald Road and Crewe Toll fire stations were sent to the house. On arrival they discovered the living room full of smoke.

Firefighters donned breathing apparatus and quickly extinguished the fire using a high pressure hose reel. They then ensured the area was safe.

A man was rescued from the house and firefighters administered oxygen therapy for smoke inhalation until the ambulance reached the scene. He was then taken to hospital for further treatment.

Group Manager David Mackie said: “This property did not have a working smoke alarm.  Thankfully on this occasion a neighbour smelt the smoke and called us out. 

“Having a smoke alarm fitted can limit the damage to property by allowing firefighters the chance to respond earlier to extinguish the fire. Working smoke alarms provide householders with an early warning that will enable them to escape the property during the early stages and can prevent injuries and deaths caused by fire.

“SFRS crews routinely conduct free home fire safety visits to help householders identify risks and take the simple steps needed to reduce the chance of fires.

“If you or someone you know could benefit from a visit, please request a visit by calling the SFRS freephone number 0800 0731 999 or by contacting the local fire station.”

A wide range of tips on how to keep yourself and your home safe from fire are available on the SFRS website: www.firescotland.gov.uk