TER 2014_01_04 Thistle Street Fire - 12

Two residents of a flat in Dundee Street got a rude awakening in the early hours this morning when a fire was discovered.

Crews from Tollcross and Sighthill fire stations were sent by Edinburgh Operations Control around half past three this morning to a flat in Dundee Street and on arrival discovered the property well alight.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire using a line of hose and a hose reel and ensured the area was safe.

Two casualties were rescued prior to fire service arrival and both were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation.

Group Manager David Mackie said: “This property did not have a working smoke alarm.  Thankfully on this occasion a neighbour saw the fire and called us out.

“Having a smoke alarm fitted can limit the damage to property by allowing firefighters the chance to respond earlier to extinguish the fire. Working smoke alarms provide householders with an early warning that will enable them to escape the property during the early stages and can prevent injuries and deaths caused by fire.

“SFRS crews routinely conduct free home fire safety visits to help householders identify risks and take the simple steps needed to reduce the chance of fires.

 “If you or someone you know could benefit from a visit, please join Scotland’s fight against fire and request a visit by calling the SFRS freephone number 0800 0731 999 or by contacting their local fire station.”

A wide range of tips on how to keep yourself and your home safe from fire are available on the SFRS website:www.firescotland.gov.uk