Hibs moved seven points clear of Rangers into second place in the Championship with a comfortable two nil win over Cowdenbeath at Central Park this afternoon.

The result extends Hibs unbeaten run to 15 games and means that even a draw next weekend against the Ibrox side would leave Hibs’ fate in their own hands.

First half goals from youngsters Fraser Fyvie and Jason Cummings secured the three points and Hibs go into next Sundays clash with Rangers knowing that a win would go a long way to ensuring that they finish the season in second place.

Head Coach Alan Stubbs made three changes to the starting XI that beat Livingston on Wednesday night as vice-captain David Gray, Scott Allan and Dylan McGeouch all returned to the starting XI, whilst Paul Hanlon, Martin Boyle and Liam Craig dropped down to the bench.

Hibs almost opened the scoring in the opening minutes when Liam Fontaine’s ball over the top of the Cowdenbeath defence found Franck Dja Djedje, however his effort was just off target.

Allan then did well to set up Jason Cummings (pictured) but the youngster’s strike was off target.

After dominating possession, Hibs eventually took the lead on 32 minutes when Gray did well to find Fraser Fyvie who hammered the ball into the Cowdenbeath net to the delight of the travelling support.

Moments later Hibs doubled their lead when Cummings pounced on a pass-back from Colin Marshall to toe poke the ball past Thomson, for his 15th goal of the season.

Substitute Craig Johnston had the chance to pull one back before Fyvie set up Scott Robertson but the midfielder shot narrowly wide.

With time running out, Martin Boyle’s strike was deflected narrowly wide as Hibs held on for a well -deserved three points.

Cowdenbeath: Thomson, Adamson, O’Brien, Armstrong, Wedderburn, Milne, Higgins (Johnston 58’), Brett (Toshney 49’), Brownlie (Robertson 46’), Oyenuga, Marshall. Substitutes not used: Kane, Buchanan, Hughes, Sneddon.

Hibernian: Oxley, Gray, Fontaine, Robertson, Stevenson, Watson, Allan (Forster 88’), Fyvie, McGeouch, Dja Djedje (Stanton 87’), Cummings (Boyle 46’). Substitutes not used: Hanlon, Craig, Handling, Perntreou.

Referee: Euan Anderson.

Attendance: 1,822.

Photo by John Preece