A chip pan fire in the early hours of this morning left a man with slight burns on his hands.
The man was taken to hospital after a chip pan fire in the kitchen of his flat in Viewforth, Edinburgh.
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) crews from Tollcross and McDonald Road fire stations responded after a 999 call was made just after 1am.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the chip fire within the kitchen and requested an ambulance to attend so the male casualty could be assessed by paramedics.
The male casualty had been cooking chips and tried to put the fire out sustaining slight burns to the hands. He was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for further treatment.
An SFRS spokesperson said: “Our advice to anyone who does experience a fire within the home is to get out, stay out and call us out. Never try to tackle a fire yourself.
“More fires begin in the kitchen than in any other room of the house and traditional chip pans are a particularly high fire risk. We would urge everyone take a few simple steps to keep themselves and those around them safe.
“By never leaving pans unattended while in use and by keeping any flammable materials, such as kitchen towels, etc., away from sources of ignition, we can dramatically reduce the chance of fire starting.
“Closing doors behind you as you go will slow the spread of fire and smoke, which will buy extra time and help confine the damage.
“Chip pan fires very quickly spread flames, toxic smoke and heat so having early warning is vital to preventing serious injury or worse. The early warning provided by working smoke alarms gives people the time to escape and for help to arrive. There is much less chance of someone being seriously hurt or killed by fire if a house is protected by working smoke alarms.
“Smoke alarms give you that vital early warning should a fire start. Encourage those around you to get a free home fire safety visit, or pick up the phone and call us on their behalf. Please join Scotland’s fight against fire and request a visit by calling the SFRS freephone number 0800 0731 999 or by texting ‘check’ to 61611. People can also fill out a form at www.firescotland.gov.uk or contact their local community fire station.”