The Lord Provost will join Marks & Spencer next Friday morning to host an event which is part of the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning at M&S Gyle Centre Café to help raise £1 million for charity.
The Rt Hon Donald Wilson will launch a special World’s Biggest Coffee Morning event for Macmillan Cancer Support at the M&S Café at Gyle Shopping Centre on Friday 27 September 2013.
Starting at 10am, the Lord Provst will help get the coffee morning and fundraising activities underway. Activities taking place on the morning include:
- Jazz music by Edinburgh based, Banyuls Saxophone Quartet
- Award-winning children’s entertainment, magician, ‘Alexander the Great’
- Face painting for the whole family to get involved in
- Staff will be dressed as mad hatters from Alice & Wonderland
- A special performance by the Linlithgow Rugby Club Male Voice Choir
MSP for Edinburgh West, Colin Keir, will also attend the event.
Customers coming into M&S Gyle Centre next Friday morning will be joining over 5 million people across the UK who are expected to take part in coffee morning on 27 September. Macmillan is aiming to raise over £15million to help ensure that no one faces cancer alone. The drive comes as over 15,000 people in Edinburgh are now living with cancer, with an additional 2,400 people diagnosed every year.
The Lord Provost said:- “This year’s World’ Biggest Coffee Morning is on track to raise an incredible £15 million that will go to paying for a raft of services to support people affected by cancer. I’m thrilled to help launch the event at M&S Gyle Centre and hope people in Edinburgh come to the Café next Friday to help raise lots of money for this incredible cause.”
Aaron Spicer, Store Manager at M&S Gyle, said:- “The World’s Biggest Coffee Morning provides a great excuse to gather with friends, family, or work colleagues, put your feet up and enjoy a cuppa and a slice of cake and all in aid of a truly worthwhile charity.
“The event on the 27th will provide lots of fun activities for the whole family to enjoy and we hope all our customers can come along to show your support for a cause that affects so many of us.”
Local Macmillan Cancer Support representative, Jayne Forbes, said:- “We are proud to be working with M&S for a fourth year and we would encourage everyone to come along on the 27th to the M&S Café at the Gyle Centre store. There will be lots of exciting things happening in store and by simply enjoying a cup of coffee and a slice of cake, people can support us in our drive to ensure no one faces cancer alone.”
Macmillan’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning calls on people across the country to gather with friends and family to hold a coffee morning. In addition, customers can also support the cause by going to over 300 M&S Cafés nationwide and buying:
- 14 select items sold in M&S Cafés. 5p of the retail selling value of these items will be donated to Macmillan;
- A Victoria Sponge cake from M&S Food halls. 20p of the retail selling value of this popular dessert will be donated to Macmillan;
- A cup of coffee – M&S will donate a further 50p for every coffee sold on the day;
- Specially-commissioned pin badges or Macmillan’s ‘Little Book of Treats’, which features recipes from supporters and celebrities.
Make time for what really matters by holding or attending a coffee morning. Visit www.macmillan.org.uk/coffee or call 0845 602 1246 or text COFFEE to 88080 to get your Coffee Morning Kit today.