A man has been taken to hospital with severe smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in his Edinburgh home.

Fire crews were called to Ramsay Place, in the Portobello area of the city, just after 5.15am this morning after reports of a house alight.

On arrival, they discovered a ground floor bedroom within a four-storey block of flats well alight.

A 50-year-old man was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Crews checked the building for damage but other residents did not have to be evacuated. Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the blaze and vented the building of smoke.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said:

“A 50-year-old man was suffering from severe smoke inhalation and was given oxygen by firefighters before being taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

“The fire caused severe damage to the bedroom and smoke damage to the rest of the flat and the common stairs of the building.”