The advert says that Amazon is looking for a software engineer. Full spec is below but we talked with the recruiter at Amazon, Chris House, to find out a little more. House said:-“Due to our continued growth, we are currently looking for several Graduate Software Engineers to join our business based in the South Queensferry area. Our centre in Scotland is responsible for devising, creating and growing major features and websites for Amazon worldwide. From interactive UI design to large-scale distributed systems and machine learning, we do whatever it takes to deliver great experiences for our customers. Our freedom to execute effectively against broad, ambitious goals offers boundless opportunities for talented, innovative engineers.”
Graduate Software Engineer – Amazon Development Centre Scotland (Edinburgh)
We are looking for an outstanding Graduate Software Engineer. To succeed, you’ll need
strong technical ability, a high level of personal organisation, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fun, fast, Agile environment.
You will work as part of a team, launching and growing new initiatives for Amazon’s global websites. Your team will own the business, technology and operations for your initiatives, giving you the responsibility and authority to ensure success. You will be involved in every aspect of the process – from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to front and middle-tier software development across a variety of technologies. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24×7.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for candidates with broader interests such as business, marketing and human/computer interface to play an expanded role over time.
- Java or C++
- Linux / Unix development background
- Object Oriented Design
- Good understanding of a broad range of algorithms and data-structures
- Good understanding of OS fundamentals and large-scale distributed systems.
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving
- Delivers Results: a do-er as well as a thinker!
- Ruby on Rails
- AJAX, JQuery, Flash (ActionScript 3)
- Database design, optimization and administration
- Agile methods
- Database design, optimization, and administration
- Knowledge of SEO a plus
- Computer Science degree (2:1 or better), Postgraduate qualification is a plus