Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus battled a fire in a kebab shop on Dalry Road on Sunday afternoon.

The alarm was raised at 5.15pm with a report of a kitchen alight in a shop at 72 Dalry Road. The fire, which it’s believed started in a deep fat fryer, quickly spread into the roof space. The front of the shop and the rooms to the rear of the premises were extensively damaged. Shops on either side of the property were smoke damaged.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: “The shop was well alight when fire crews arrived and there was a risk of the fire spreading into neighbouring shops. The prompt actions of firefighters meant that this was quickly tackled.

“Part of the road was closed for safety and to allow firefighters to fight the fire and prevent it from spreading further. The fire was extinguished just after 8.30pm.”