A 31-year-old man was taken to hospital with burns after a fire in a flat in the Dalry area of Edinburgh in the early hours of this morning.

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service were called to the fire which broke out in a top floor flat in Springwell Place just before 2am.

An ambulance was called for the male occupier who was suffering from burns and breathing difficulties as a result of smoke inhalation. He was taken to Edinburgh’s Royal Infirmary, for treatment to his injuries.

A vet was called to deal with a number of cats in the flat which were also affected by the fire.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said: “Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using a hose reel extinguished the fire.

“We are keen to remind people about the importance of having a working smoke alarm in their home to give early warning of fire. If you live in the Lothian and Borders area you can book a free home safety visit and get a smoke alarm fitted by calling 0800 169 0320.”