Hibs drew 2-2 with Aberdeen in an entertaining game in the North East, goals from Martin Boyle and Emiliano Marcondes were enough to send the Leith home with a point.

Both sides started the match brightly, and Hibs took the lead early on, Myziane Maolida did well to control a high ball, he nutmegged his defender and played in Martin Boyle. 

Boyle skipped past the onrushing Kelle Roos and dispatched into the net, VAR did check for offside, but the goal was given and Hibs’ bright start was rewarded.

Just minutes later though, the home side had equalised, Hibs failed to deal with a long punt over the defence, Bojan Miovski’s volley was well saved by David Marshall, but there was nothing he could do as Nicky Devlin tapped the rebound into an empty net.

Both sides continued to threaten, and Hibs perhaps should have had a penalty midway through the half.

A cross by Jordan Obita looked like it had been handballed by Devlin, but VAR upheld the referee’s on field decision and nothing was given. 

Aberdeen could have taken the lead in the closing stages of opening 45 minutes, but Jamie McGrath’s sliding effort hit the crossbar and the sides went in level.

Not long after half time, Aberdeen scored their second, Hibs failed to properly clear a cross and McGrath was given far too much time in the box, this time he made no mistake, finishing past Marshall.

In a wide open game, and with both sides looking shaky defensively, Hibs created several chances, and after 67 minutes they had drawn level.

A great move down the left saw Newell cut the ball back neatly to Emiliano Marcondes and the Dane finished well first time. 

The linesman immediately put his flag up, however, ruling the goal offside, but after a lengthy VAR check, the decision was overturned and the goal was given.

In an end-to-end finish to the game, there was a moment of concern for Hibs when goalkeeper Marshall went down injured, he was replaced by Jojo Wollacott. 

The match finished 2-2 and despite some positives, another poor defensive performance meant Hibs failed to win their eighth league game in a row. 

Speaking to BBC Scotland, head coach Nick Montgomery said: “There is definitely a handball in the first half, in the box, that we don’t get given, which is unfortunate.

“Real disappointed with the two goals we conceded, especially the first one…disappointed to concede that one just after going in front.

“But all credit to the boys, I thought we kept going, we got back into the game and had a couple of chances at the end to win the game as well.”

Hibernian’s next outing is against Dundee at home, a game which may prove crucial in their ambitions to finish in the top six, kick off is next Saturday at 3 o’clock.

Scottish Premiership – Hibernian FC v St Mirren FC 03/02/2024 A dejected Hibs’ midfielder, Emiliano Marcondes, as Hibs go down 3-0 to St Mirren in the Scottish Premiership at Easter Road Stadium, Edinburgh, UK Credit: Ian Jacobs
+ posts

Masters Student currently studying Sports Journalism at Edinburgh Napier University.