Tony Hand’s Murrayfield Racers held at home by Dundee Comets. Picture by Ian Coyle

Stuart Robertson Cup: Murrayfield Racers 5, Dundee Comets 5. Elite League: Fife Flyers 3, Dundee Stars 4 (after a penalty shootout)

Experienced Richard Hartmann was Murrayfield Racers’ Man of the Match in a 5-5 draw with Dundee Comets in the Stuart Robertson Cup in Edinburgh.

Racers led 3-1 at the end of the first session but the sides were tied at 5-5 after the middle period and they were still deadlocked with that scoreline at the end of the game.

Elsewhere, ice cool Francois Bouchard, a former Washington Capitals draft pick, netted the game-winner as Dundee Stars claimed maximum points from their weekend double-header with arch rivals Fife Flyers.

But it took a marathon penalty shootout at Kirkcaldy to cement a remarkable comeback for the Tayside team.

They appeared to be on the ropes at 3-0 down deep into the first period but they battled back to level with two goals inside the final three minutes.

That set up a dramatic sudden death overtime period and the lengthy, 12-round shootout.

Earlier, under-strength Fife, minus suspended Paul Crowder and Chase Schaber plus Craig Douglas, came out flying after their 3-0 defeat on Tayside on Saturday and within six minutes they two goals ahead.

Scott Aarssen set up former Capitals star Mike Cazolla for the opener after 2min 8sec and Ricards Birzins added the second just over three minutes later. Brett Bulmer and Aarssen were involved.

And it was 3-0 on the power play after 16 minutes when Marcus Basara netted after build-up play involving Birzins and Aarssen.

Dundee battled on and opened their account through Drydn Dow after 34 minutes with Bouchard receiving an assist.

That sparked the Tayside team and they levelled with just under two minutes left of the contest.

Home-bred talent Jordan Cownie scored their second after 57min 4sec with assists from Matt Marquardt and Connor Cox and Matt Bissonnette tied the game up with a goal after 58min 17sec.

The scoreline stayed the same to the final whistle and a nervy sudden death overtime session failed to separate the sides. They were still tied after that and the sides then went into penalty shots.