TER Fire Engine

Firefighters were called to a fire in a bedroom in a Morningside flat last night.

Operations Control Edinburgh mobilised Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) appliances from Tollcross fire station around 8.41pm.

Firefighters arrived to find the bedroom of the three-storey  flat in Morningside Drive well-alight and immediately committed four firefighters in breathing apparatus with two high pressure hose reel jets to tackle the flames.

Group Manager David Mackie said: “When our crews arrived they were confronted with a significant fire in the bedroom of the second floor of the property.

“Firefighters worked hard to extinguish the fire and prevent further fire spread.  The crews then used a used a fan to ventilate the property.

“The fire had started due to a candle being left lit and unattended. We would urge everyone to be very careful when using candles. The very nature of candles make them a fire risk and if they have to be used, they should be handled responsibly and safely and kept away from other items and materials.

“Whether you are using candles to scent or decorate your home please remember to extinguish them before you go to sleep and never leave them unattended even for a second. If you must use candles please ensure they are in a noncombustible candle holder and placed on a noncombustible surface.

“The property did not have a working smoke alarm. We would encourage anyone who doesn’t have a smoke alarm to have one fitted immediately. Smoke alarms save lives. If you don’t have one then call Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and arrange a FREE Home Fire Safety Visit and we will provide you with a smoke alarm free of charge. It could save your life.

“Home fire safety visits only take around half an hour and are delivered by firefighters from your local community. If you or someone you know could benefit from a FREE visit, please join Scotland’s fight against fire and request a visit by calling the SFRS freephone number 0800 0731 999, by texting ‘check’ to 61611 or by contacting their local fire station.”

A wide range of tips on how to keep yourself and your home safe from fire are available on the SFRS website: www.firescotland.gov.uk