Fire crews were called to a house in Gilmerton Dykes Avenue just before 8:00pm on Sunday evening. The alarm was raised when a member of the public heard a smoke alarm and could smell burning. Fire crews attended and gained access to the property, once in the property two crew members wearing breathing apparatus found a 50 year-old man.

The crew removed him from the house. He was treated at the scene by medics then taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for further treatment.

Fire Scotland have confirmed a pot on the cooker was the source of the fire and there was extensive smoke damage to the property.